Do you ever think of recipes just so you can use irresponsible amounts of blue cheese?
Me neither. That’s totally not what this recipe was about. This recipe of roasted buffalo style shrimp was totally about wanting an easy appetizer for Sunday night football that went beyond chips and dip. The fact that the blue cheese dip I made called for an entire cup of blue cheese in it is neither here nor there.
It didn’t hurt though. Blue cheese never hurts.
This recipe is so simple. It has 3 steps. Total.
Step 1: Thaw shrimp and add to zippered bag. Pour 1/2 cup Buffalo style hot sauce over shrimp. I used Frank’s Red Hot.
Step 2: Let shrimp marinate in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes.
Step 3: Pour contents of the bag onto a baking sheet and put it in a hot oven for 10 minutes until shrimp are cooked.
Done. You have buffalo shrimp now. But what’s the point of buffalo style anything if there isn’t blue cheese dressing accompanying it? There isn’t one.
So I made blue cheese dip.
In a large bowl I added about a cup (8 ounces) of crumbled blue cheese.
Then I added some sour cream…
…and some mayo…
…and some seasoning. Salt, pepper and onion powder to be exact.
I mixed it all up and let it refrigerate for about an hour before serving so the flavors could get friendly.
I brought this easy appetizer to K’s house for football Sunday, which proved to be a disappointment on the football end, but a triumph on the appetizer front.
Add some raw veggies on the side and you have yourself a nice little meal.
This is quick, easy, and delicious. And if you happen to be looking for a vehicle to get your daily allowance of blue cheese in, this is it. Not that I would know or anything.
Here’s the recipe:
Buffalo Style Roasted Shrimp with Blue Cheese Dip
For the Shrimp:
- 1 pound peeled and deveined shrimp with the tails on
- 1/2 cup Buffalo style hot sauce (I used Frank’s Red Hot Original)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- In a large zippered bag, add shrimp and hot sauce. Toss until shrimp is coated in sauce. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Line a baking sheet with foil and add marinated shrimp with any excess sauce. Cook for 10 minutes, or until shrimp are pink and opaque.
For the Dip:
- 1 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 1 1/2 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (blue cheese is mighty salty already)
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- In a large bowl, combine blue cheese, sour cream, mayonnaise and seasonings. Stir well to combine. Taste for seasonings and adjust if necessary.
*If you’d like to make this dip more of a dressing, add buttermilk at the very last step, in small increments, until you’ve reached the desired consistency.